Monthly Archives: June 2012

No Socks and Green Tea

How is everyone doing?  I’m pretty thrilled it’s Friday, and that in just over two hours I will be off work and free for a couple of days!  I have to remind myself about every other day that my job is the perfect temporary job, because it is nothing even close to what I would like to be doing.  And now that it’s summer and warm outside, it’s even worse!  I sit at my desk and stare into a window that is a ways from my desk (across the hall, through someone else’s cubicle) and wish I could enjoy the sunny days!  I’ve enjoyed the summer in Indiana so far.  I was only in Arizona for two summers, but in those two summers I quickly adapted to the zero to low humidity, dry heat and so I wondered what it would be like to come back to the muggy midwest.  Well, I was right, it is very muggy… but it has not been too bad.  The worst parts are allergies, trying to sleep at night, and some runs.  But all of those things are getting better too, so maybe by the end of the summer I will have fully converted back to a humidity embracing Indiana dweller.

The other day I planned to meet Dustin after work to go running, and forgot my socks.  It’s no surprise really, because I’m always forgetting something, and lately it seems to be socks.  He says it’s probably because I wear flip-flops everywhere else, and don’t have to wear socks all day at work… but I think he’s just envious that I have a free foot wear policy and he doesn’t. Anyway, the new shoes are supposed to be good for running sockless in too… and I thought what better time to give it a try.  I will not be doing it again, probably in any pair of shoe.  I have run sockless in my NB Minimus 10 trail shoes before too… and didn’t enjoy it that much.  I love the idea of running with no socks, because it’s so freeing.  But I’ve come to the conclusion that you must have a certain type of foot to actually enjoy it.  Or maybe the enjoyment comes after your feet have adjusted and you are past the blistering stage…. but I don’t think it’s worth it.  I’m going to keep wearing socks.

For several years now I have tried to eat healthy foods, and have continued to increase my vegetable intake and lessen my grains and processed foods in my diet.  As mentioned before, I sort of back-slid some on that when moving back to Indiana.  As of late though (the last month) I have been back to my old ways, for the most part, and better even in other ways. I have found new foods to try and am trying to be especially conscious about putting “clean” foods into my body.

One new thing: I have started drinking at least two cups of green tea a day, with no sugar or honey in it.  I remember when Lipton started selling their iced green tea and diet green tea and everyone was all about it… I tried it and thought it was disgusting.  On my first trip to China, I drank some there and actually liked it.  Then for years, I didn’t try it again because I didn’t think it was worth gradually getting myself to like it.  There are a lot of health benefits though, and so I decided this past winter that it is well worth the time and getting used to it.  It has so many antioxidants,

Some of the benefits are:

  • Cancer fighting
  • Fights heart disease
  • Has been shown to lower cholesterol
  • Burns fat
  • Prevents diabetes
  • Prevents strokes
  • Delays dementia, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
  • Protects against osteoporosis
  • Fights against tooth decay
  • Increases weight loss
  • Helps your skin- fights wrinkles and signs of aging

And those are only some of the benefits! See, totally worth it!

I just recently read that a person really needs 4-5 cups a day in order to get all the benefits… and as I said earlier, I have been shooting for two cups.  They are large cups, so I think I could round it up to three, but five would be pushing it.  So I am going to be more intentional about making sure I’m getting plenty, and since I went from zero to 2-3 cups a day, surely I can up it another 2!

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/the-best-tea-for-you

Since running with Dustin, I have increased my speed on our runs which makes me feel less in shape because I can’t go as long without having to take a walk break… but knowing that I would normally just go slower is encouraging because it means I’m gradually building my speed without fully realizing it.  I like to think we meet somewhere in the middle… I’m getting an extra work out by picking up the speed and he’s getting time to work on his stride and form.  Two birds, one arrow!

I have one more run to get in this weekend… and hopefully one round of tennis! Get active this weekend, and drink some green tea! 🙂

Also, let it be known that I am aware that the title of this blog is “Run Free” and yet I talk about other things besides running (i.e., tennis, golf, eating healthy, random thoughts) but my main way of staying active and in shape is running and has been for several years.  So running is sort of like a back bone for me… which has gradually increased my interest in all these other areas too.  So, it does all go together, but I guess I consider this more of a being healthy blog, than just running (hey, better to be balanced than focused only on one thing anyway, right).

 

 

 

 

Keeping it Healthy

Last week,I went on my first run in my new shoes and absolutely loved them.  They feel different from my NB Minimus Trail shoes for a variety of reasons.  For one thing, they are road shoes, and so even though they are both minimalist shoes, they have a different feel.  The road shoes seem to have more cushioning (for the pavement) and yet the heel to toe drop is lower (4mm instead of 10mm).  I went for 3.5 miles, and enjoyed how the shoes fit, felt and worked throughout.

I have been very intentional the last week or so to make sure I am eating a normal amount of vegetables and fruits throughout the day.  By normal, I mean my  normal which is more than the average person.  When I lived in Phoenix, I rarely ate with other people and when I did, I had probably spent the rest of the day eating by myself, so I could make sure I got in the amount I needed.  I could make sure that at least 90% of my diet was good, whole and healthy foods which gave me freedom in the other 10%.  I have heard that is a good goal in general, rather than counting calories, or having cheat days when you are eating healthy, to instead be sure that 90% of your regular diet is healthy and leaving the other 10% for those things we love but don’t love our bodies back how we wish they did!

This past weekend I did not get any runs in, but I did get to hit the tennis ball around for a while.  Am hoping to run tonight after work so long as it’s not raining too much.  I forgot my socks, so will be running sockless (luckily, the shoes are made to be used either with or without socks).  I am never a big fan of Mondays.  I don’t think the weekend is long enough, just as soon as I am starting to feel partially rested, Monday morning is here and the week starts over again.  The last few months, it’s seemed like every week I had so much going on and so I haven’t had a lot of time to just enjoy hanging out, relaxing, etc. It’s so much better than it was this spring though, so I can’t complain!

I saw this list on pinterest and thought it was great and wanted to share a few things off of it:

http://www.lululemon.com/about/manifesto#

1.  Drink FRESH water and as much water as you can. Water flushes unwanted toxins from your body and keeps your brain sharp.

2.  Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself.

3.  Stress is related to 99% of all illness.

4.  That which matters the most should never give way to that which matters the least.

5.  SWEAT once a day to regenerate your skin.

6.  Communication is COMPLICATED. We are all raised in a different family with slightly different definitions of every word. An agreement is an agreement only if each party knows the conditions for satisfaction and a time is set for satisfaction to occur.

What are you doing to live a healthy life today (mentally, physically, spiritually, relationally- all and any part of your life)?

I’m aiming to be disciplined in my reading and writing times, exercise, eating healthy and drinking lots of water.  In addition to that, since I’ve had medical insurance I’ve been trying to take care of any appointments that I have needed in the past.  Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment to get two cavities filled; I got set up with a family physician (first time), so I will remain disciplined throughout my life to have regular check-ups (so many illnesses are preventable or can be caught early as we age if we are getting our regular check-ups).  Preventative measures!  I’m also attempting to get at least 8 hours of sleep per night- I haven’t every night, but I feel 100% better when I get 8-9 hours as opposed to the 6-7 that I may get after filling my time with too many other things.

Until next time… Keep on keeping it healthy!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

%d bloggers like this: